Have you been experiencing excruciating pain from the lower back radiating through the hip down the leg? You may have a condition known as sciatica. At Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractor P.C. in Freeport, NY, we provide non-invasive and drug-free sciatica treatment. We help you get rid of that pain for good!
Causes of Sciatica
What causes sciatica? Is it something you can avoid? This condition may occur after the sciatica nerve is pinched, for instance, by a herniated disk. Overgrowth of a bone in the vertebrae may also cause this condition. In rare cases, a tumor may compress the sciatic nerve, or a disease like diabetes may damage it, causing sciatica condition.
Risk Factors for Sciatica
Some of the factors that can make you more vulnerable to sciatica include:
- Age – Aging causes spine changes such as bone spurs and herniated disks. These two are the leading causes of sciatica.
- Prolonged Sitting – Someone who sits for long is more likely to have sciatica than those who are active.
- Obesity – Excess body weight may increase stress on the spine, contributing to spinal changes that cause sciatica.
- Diabetes – Since diabetes affects your blood sugar levels, it can cause nerve damage, eventually causing sciatica.
- Injury – If you had an injury in your lower back, you are more likely to suffer from sciatica.
- Wrong Posture in the Weight Room – Although some people engage in exercises, they do not observe the right body form, especially when lifting weights. The wrong body form puts them at risk of getting Sciatica.
- Smoking Habit – Tobacco contains nicotine, which causes tissue damage, weakens bones, and speeds the wearing of your vertebral disks.
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Mild to sharp lower back pain that runs down the leg.
- Numbness in the lower back, buttock, leg, and feet
- Increased pain when you move that can even cause loss of movement.
- Tingling in the legs, feet, and toes
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
How Chiropractic Care Can Help With Sciatica
When you visit Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractic P.C. in Freeport, NY, our chiropractor will note your symptoms, for example, lower back pain, tingling, and leg pain. He will then develop a treatment plan for you. Some of the techniques they may use to treat you include:
The chiropractor applies chiropractic adjustments that allow your herniated disk to rest in its right position. This adjustment takes the pressure off the sciatic nerve. Spinal manipulation also puts in place the misaligned vertebral disks.
These techniques help ease the pain and regain your nerve mobility. The chiropractor may also use these adjustments to alleviate muscle spasms that will give you long term relief.
This technique is applied to reduce inflammation and control sciatica pain.
Ultrasound is gentle heat from sound waves that penetrate the tissues. It reduces muscle spasms, swelling, stiffness, cramping, and pain.
Visit Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractor P.C. Today for Sciatica Treatment
Do you feel drained by sciatica leg pain? At Dr. Walter E. Mendoza Chiropractor P.C. in Freeport, NY, we provide exceptional chiropractic care that eliminates your leg and lower back pain. We can help you live pain-free again! Call (516) 213-4610 to schedule your appointment.